Local Government needs to cover the costs of services in the following sectors, either directly, in partnership with others or by commissioning services from a third party:
- Education & children services
- Highways, roads & transport
- Planning & development
- Fire & public safety
- Social care & adult services
- Cultural services
- Waste management
- Trading standards
- Environmental services
- Local Register and tax administration
Local Government spending falls into two main areas:
- spending on capital projects (e.g. infrastructure, school buildings, etc)
- revenue spending on running services.
Local Government spending amounts to approximately a quarter of all UK public spending 1 which for 2014 was a combined £732bn 2.